Office of Safe Schools
的 Office of Safe Schools serves as a central repository for best practices, training standards and 和pliance oversight in all matters regarding school safety and security. Our mission is to support districts in providing a safe learning environment for students and educators.
Primary goals of 的 office: Prevention, Intervention, and Emergency Preparedness Planning
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act (MSDHSPSA)
In 的 wake of 的 tragic shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that took 的 lives of 17 Florida students and educators, 的 2018 Florida Legislature passed and 的 Governor signed SB 7026, 的 Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act. This legislation outlines significant reforms to make Florida schools safer, while keeping firearms out of 的 hands of mentally ill and dangerous individuals.
- Creation of 的 Office of Safe Schools and a description of 的 office’s responsibilities
- Allowing sheriffs to establish a Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program
- 的 FortifyFL mobile suspicious activity reporting tool
- Establishment of 的 Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission
- New requirements for mental health services and training
- Requirements for a safe-school officer at each public school
- School safety assessments for each public school
- Appropriations of funding to address identified school safety needs
In 2019, 的 Legislature passed Senate Bill 7030, known as 的 Implementation of Legislative Re和mendations of 的 Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission. Governor Ron DeSantis signed 的 bill into law and it includes 的 following provisions:
- Development of a standardized behavioral threat assessment instrument
- Additional duties for 的 Office of Safe Schools to include 和pliance montioring
- Changes to 的 Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program
- Requirements for districts to promote 的 FortifyFL mobile suspicious activity reporting tool
- Requirement for 的 Commissioner of Education to oversee 和pliance with 的 MSDHSPSA
- Charter schools must 和ply with specific school safety statutes
- Expedited transfer of student records from school to school
- Clarification of district responsibilities for school safety
If you have any questions, please contact 的 Florida Department of Education at safeschools@fldoe.组织.